What is true love? So many people confuse love with things like jealousy or possessiveness. We want him/her to be more affectionate. Or smarter. Or more ambitious. Or no longer available. All of these things are expectations. Expectations are just your requirements of acceptability to like someone. But true love has no expectations. He simply loves “as is”.
Many people confuse being in a relationship with love. Just because you’re in a relationship doesn’t mean true love is present. If there is jealousy, possessiveness, constant fighting, abuse (verbal, emotional or physical), it is not love. They are emotions and actions based on fear and emotional dependence.
There is a difference between love and passion . Humans tend to be addicted to intense emotions, especially when they are feeling good and euphoric. When we are in love, we want to feel that way forever. But guess what? This feeling goes away after a while. It doesn’t mean that you don’t love the other person anymore, it just means that this love will take another form, and thus come closer to real love.
Genuine love allows people their freedom. He does not crush his wings to try to keep them close to him. True love does not want to own or control. On one side you have love and on the opposite side is fear. Hate, insecurity, jealousy or greed are other fear-based emotions. Needing someone is a fear-based feeling. You fear that you cannot live without them, so you need them and you try to control and possess them. To truly love a person is to give them the freedom to leave and grow, even if that doesn’t include us.
Although people can be inherently selfish in order to survive, it doesn’t serve us well in our relationships. If you don’t place the needs of others at least equal to your own, they will breed resentment. True love genuinely cares about the happiness of others and will go out of their way to make people feel valued.
Science has proven that emotions like love and fear have very different vibrations. Love vibrates very fast, while fear-based emotions (think jealousy, possessiveness, hatred, greed, etc.) vibrate very slowly. When you love completely and unconditionally, you fear nothing. The vibrations of love make you feel good at all times.
True and conscious love according to Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov is a Bulgarian philosopher, pedagogue and spiritual master. At the age of seventeen, he met the spiritual master Peter Deunov . He studied and put into practice the Christian esoteric teaching of the latter for twenty years. Thereafter, he divided his time between travels and teaching, visiting the holy places of the planet and giving more than 5000 conferences throughout the world.
Here are 28 teachings of Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov on true and conscious love:
- Human happiness and fulfillment depend on a proper understanding of love.
- True love does not exhaust you, on the contrary, it embellishes you, it illuminates you.
- Never stop loving. Whatever happens to you, never close your heart, because it is then the desert that you let settle in you. Others may not need your love, but you do need to love.
- True love is a higher state of consciousness that brings all blessings and sustains the wellspring of life within you.
- Love, true love, must be sought above, in the regions of the soul and the spirit.
- Your love must make a being grow.
- Love is a radical power, because it touches the deep nature of being to transform everything in it.
- True love is a vibration of extreme subtlety, and to emit this vibration as well as to capture it, it takes a lot of attention, a lot of vigilance.
- To truly love is not to feel an attraction for a man or a woman. To love is to be inhabited by love. Whoever manages to understand it has the key to realisation, because he becomes more lucid, stronger, more in control of events.
- You will only truly find love if you manage to make this life flow within you, a life purified, illuminated thanks to your spiritual work. Love is life. But it is also necessary to make intelligence work, to have discernment, to make a selection, a choice, to know who to love, how to love and how to spiritualize and sublimate one’s love.
- Love, and worry only about improving the quality of your love by removing from it the elements of covetousness, possessiveness, violence which it contains and which harm your evolution.
- Humans only need two things: to love and be loved, to give love and to receive it. This is why never prevent your heart from loving. We must love always, without ceasing, all creation, all creatures, and especially the Creator. But always worrying in what form to love and what direction to give to this love.
- He who has understood the secret of love does not wait, he does not even think that we can give him anything in return because he already tastes a happiness which exceeds the imagination.
- When you are capable of sacrificing yourself for the good of the other, it is only then that you are capable of love.
- Love is a force and this force acts on you, on your mind, on your will, on your very body, and it gives you immense possibilities.
- Selfless love doesn’t expect anything from others, it doesn’t worry, it doesn’t cling to them, it doesn’t confuse them. It is a spring which gushes forth, which ceaselessly gives without worrying about knowing who will come to draw its water; it pleases him to distribute it without counting.
- True love thinks above all about the happiness of the other.
- And what does it mean to live with love? Simply breathe, eat, walk, watch, listen with love. You think you know all that… No, you don’t. To live with love is to rise to that state of consciousness which harmonizes your thoughts, your feelings, your actions and keeps you in balance. And this state of consciousness becomes a source of joy, strength, health, not only for you but for all the creatures you meet.
- Nothing is more beautiful than love. But there are too often instinctive, passionate elements mixed in with it, which prevent its true nature from appearing.
- True love must bring to the one you love light, beauty, peace. And it is on this condition that your love will also make you progress.
- Until you know love as a state of consciousness, you will be in darkness and you will not understand much about life.
- Love is the only force that organizes things, that makes them grow and blossom. As soon as love enters a family, a community, a society, there is no longer any need to say: do this, and if you don’t do it, beware, all perform their work with pleasure. Where love has entered, the law no longer has a place.
- I rely on my love, I want to love and if the others don’t want to love, that’s their business, they’ll be unhappy, but I’m happy.
- You have not yet sufficiently experienced the powers of love. For example: you are worried, irritated, unhappy… Well, instead of fretting or going around complaining and annoying others, stay calm. Start by breathing, then say a word with love, make a gesture with love, send a thought with love. You will find that what was fermenting and putrefying within you is driven very far away.
- The less a being is evolved, the more he yields to the insistence of his love without analyzing whether he is disinterested, pure or useful.
- The beings who have loved each other with a true love never leave each other, their soul crosses all the obstacles of matter.
- Any act that is inspired by true love leaves traces in you like a perfume that you will keep for eternity.
- Love is much more than this attraction which pushes humans towards each other and which makes them separate when this attraction ceases and they feel drawn towards someone else. The day when you will know what true love is, you will draw purer elements from each encounter.